[ExI] FW: moderation in all things

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 05:48:08 UTC 2009

On 4/30/09, spike wrote:
<snip>
>  Now please someone step up and moderate this fine list.  I nominate John
>  Grigg.  Isn't the Griggmeister about the nicest guy you ever met?  Johnny I
>  respectfully offer you the badge sir.  We will do whatever you say.  Well,
>  not really, but we will cheer you on and will be cool if you serve only the
>  six month term we originally envisioned nearly four years ago.  I will never
>  utter a word of complaint, nor will anyone who has served as Exi-chat
>  moderator, or plans to do so.

Nothing against John Grigg, :)  But 'niceness' is not really the main
quality you need in a moderator.

It is a thankless job, as they will probably end up offending almost
everyone on the list at some time. They will need a very thick skin,
as few people will thank them for their efforts and many will
complain.

They also need to be closely aligned with the objectives of the owners
of the list as their moderation must have the owners' support and be
aimed at maintaining list standards as specified by the owners.

A six month term sounds like a good idea, but to be be practical, the
limits will be
a) How long they can face doing the job
b) How long they maintain the confidence and support of the owners.
c) How long before lynch mobs petition the owners.

BillK