[ExI] retrainability of plebeians

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 15:05:52 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 5:30 AM, Emlyn <emlynoregan at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Well there's the problem. When people aren't doing paid labour, it
>>> doesn't mean they are just engaged in "fun and games", demonstrably
>>> so. So, that kind of language doesn't fit.
>>
>> ### So what do 95% humans do when not paid? You would be hard-pressed
>> to find them engaged in many activities of use to strangers.
>>
>> Rafal
>
> Sounds like when they are paid (95% might be high).
>
> Also, this is not a fair comparison. People who are in paid work
> already feel they are doing their fair share.

### I didn't understand the above.

> If people didn't need to be paid and so all their time could happily
> be unpaid time, how many people would do something useful with their
> time, vs how many would waste their time (watching tv / playing WoW)?

### 85% outright waste (boozing, scheming, etc.), 10% good-intentioned
waste (missionary work, all kinds of stupid activism) , 5% sexy useful
stuff, like proving Fermat's theorem.

Nobody would ever clean the sewers.

> Also, if the percentage of "usefuls" in the latter scenario is lower
> than in the former, is the work of the people who comprise the margin
> a significant loss?

### Yes. Almost all that we enjoy is the result of paid work.

Rafal