[ExI] Richard Lindzen on climate hysteria

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Tue Aug 4 02:29:34 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 07:44:37PM -0400, John K Clark wrote:

> I said 6 inches/century, but I won't fight you over that last inch; after
> all it's in my favor.
>
>> Last 20 years:  10 inches/century
>
> So in the last 20 years the sea has risen 10 inches a century. Huh?

The obvious interpretation is that the sea has risen at a rate that
would be 10 inches/century, if it went on for a century.  Normalized
units.

>> Next century:  3-4 foot/century
>
> Let  me know where you got your time machine.

Called "models".

> Like it or not the world runs on fossil fuels. Take that away then the
> world won't run. If the world doesn't run then people are going to
> die. Lots and

Funny how people who believe in nanotech and AI and such have trouble
with closer and more plausible visions.  Like nuclear/solar/geothermal
providing the basic power, and liquid fuels being synthesized from
biomass or atmospheric CO2 for applications requiring such.  It would
take a lot of work to build the infrastructure, but then it took a lot
of work to build our existing infrastructure; there's nothing inherently
difficult about it.  We know how to build nuke plants, we know how to
synthesize fuels, it's practically plug-and-play.  Raise fossil carbon
taxes high enough and the market will probably build it for us.

-xx- Damien X-)