[ExI] Life expectancy reaches all-time high in U.S.

Max More max at maxmore.com
Fri Aug 21 16:45:20 UTC 2009

BillK wrote:
>It's not an instant effect as it takes time for people to get sick,
>then find that they can't afford medical bills. In the US when you
>become unemployed you often lose your company health insurance as
>well. This doesn't happen in countries with a national health service.

Agreed. I also agree that tying health insurance to employment has
bad effects. That's largely a result of regulatory and tax policies.
In a health care system that was more market-based, health insurance
would be follow the individual far more than today. That is a major
concern of market-friendly health care reformers.

>"In the past, we saw people die within 10 years after their job
>loss," Brenner said. "Now we're seeing them die as early as the same
>year." End quote.

Okay, but that doesn't seem "obvious" to me. I don't see why there
should be such a drastic change from previous recessions. The length
of unemployment (so far) doesn't appear to be so much greater as to
make this effect obvious. What I do agree is obvious, is the general
correlation between GDP and health.

Max