[ExI] BBC article on climate change

John Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Sat Aug 29 16:29:43 UTC 2009

> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8223611.stm

> Species are going extinct at perhaps 1,000 times the normal rate

That's a really really interesting statistic. It would be even more
interesting if I had some reason to believe it's true. My rule of
thumb is to be suspicious of any article that uses the word "normal"
without further elaboration.

> Soils are becoming saline, air quality is a huge cause of illness
> and premature death

Everyone agrees that bad air is, well, bad; but is it really a HUGE
cause of death? If so it's odd that in no place has the the air gotten
worse than in China, and yet in no place has the life expectancy
increased more. I think that means that some things are worse than bad
air, like no food.

  John K Clark