[ExI] Saving the data

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Tue Dec 1 11:03:42 UTC 2009

Mike Dougherty wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 4:00 PM, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se
> > <mailto:anders at aleph.se>> wrote:
> >
> >     This scheme would of course require funding, but also a very
> >     stable long-term organisation that can move to new media. Perhaps
> >     allowing forking would be one way (some cryptographic trickery
> >     here for the escrow) so that even amateurs might be able to run
> >     their own version with all data smaller than Y gigabytes. Sounds
> >     very much like something the Long Now Foundation might have been
> >     considering for their 10,000 year library.
> >

> > It also sounds like something googleBot is already doing.  We joke
> > about chats being "off the record" probably being stored and simply
> > 'marked' as "off the record" until some to-be-determined statute of
> > intellectual property runs out.

While Google is acting as the emergency backup system for the Internet,
it is not really backing up the scientific data I'm talking about. Sure,
you can leave your binary dataset in an open directory, but good luck
searching for it (try figuring out what the search string for finding
the raw data in Millikan's droplet experiment or the raw Voyager signals
should be, assuming they were online). Even if it happens to be backed
up by the Wayback Machine there are issues about curatorship, data
integrity and lack of metadata.

My point is that science (and civilization in general) lives not just on
data, but also the metainformation that makes it understandable and the
handling practices that allows us to trust it. Getting all scientific
data to just have metadata is going to be tricky enough, but we should
aim higher. Currently digital lab notebooks are being developed, but it
will take a long while before they become really good. A friend working
at the Karolinska Institute was told to cut and paste (paper) copies of
all data into her lab notebook. She was running supercomputer
simulations producing terabytes of data. She asked if it was OK to glue
hard drives to it.

However, I think Mike is right about the privacy of data. As scientists we cannot assume our data is "ours". Sometimes this can lead to problems, like the Gillberg affair in Sweden where a court-ordered FoI request collided with the promise of privacy to parents and children in a medical trial.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute