[ExI] extropy-chat Digest, Vol 75, Issue 2

Alfio Puglisi alfio.puglisi at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 20:17:07 UTC 2009

2009/12/2 Mirco Romanato <painlord2k at libero.it>

> Liberal, market oriented society don't go in war against each other, nor
> they go in war against other if not heavily provoked and menaced.
> Mobilizing an Army is too costly to be done for long. It divert productive
> young people from more useful jobs and clearly is a bad investment.

I am not so sure. The US is arguably the most free-market oriented nation in
the world, and still it spends a huge amount of GDP on its military, as much
or more than the rest of the world combined. Soviet russia in its days,
somewhat the opposite politically, also spent large amounts of money to the
same end. I don't see much correlation.

Alfio