[ExI] Who is Ayn Rand?

JOSHUA JOB nanite1018 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 23:14:38 UTC 2009

On Dec 3, 2009, at 5:20 PM, Robert Masters wrote:
> The works of  Alice Rosenbaum...
>

> DIRGE
>
> WE THE LIVING DEAD
>
> THE CLOGGED FOUNTAIN
>
> ATLAS SHIT
>

> Her culminating achievement was the novel ATLAS SHIT.  It is the
> amazing story of how one speech changed the entire course of history.
I'm not really sure what to make of this. Ayn Rand was not perfect,
often tending to be too quick to denounce others morally because they
simply disagreed. But her philosophy is quite good in my estimation,
and particularly the general outline of her morality and politics (any
reason-based epistemology is enough, in my opinion, to serve as the
foundation for them). Your post seems almost like a satire of
criticisms, but I think it may very well be an actual criticism
itself. One clue that it might simply be satirical of criticisms is
that you got her name wrong, it was Alisa Rosenbaum, not Alice.

Have you, by any chance, read any of the above novels, particularly
"The Fountainhead" or "Atlas Shrugged"? If you had, it seems unlikely
that you could characterize them so unfairly. If you have not, then I
suggest that you do before you declare them effectively piles of shit.

On a somewhat related note, I find Objectivism quite in tune with the
Principles of Extropy. The Principles are individualist and have a
strong emphasis on reason and an open economy and society, which is
just the same aim as Objectivism. Extropianism, from what I've been
able to tell from the articles available online, seems much like
Objectivism plus transhuman technologies.

Joshua Job
nanite1018 at gmail.com