[ExI] Moderation on the ExiCh list

Will Steinberg asyluman at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 20:28:55 UTC 2009

An easy enough rule to remember: if it seems (and this really is pretty easy
to ascertain) like others on the list will respond to your message with
intelligent interest in the direction of a progressive conversation--which
would be a conversation where it can be seen that, as the talking continues,
the understanding of the topic rises and so do the complexities of the ideas
within.

for example:

If I hypothesize on race relations and imagine a thought experiment that
would be considered highly immoral or illegal, the topic can still progress
towards real intelligent results.  Many, many thought experiments include
scenarios where someone is killed to illustrate consciousness, decision, and
the like.  People here are on the level to understand that these do not
suggest the writer is in favor of murder; they should be able to judge when
something is hypothesis and when something is personal opinion.

but if your message will produce a hovering, worthless conversation--an
argument, an intelligentsian circle-jerk, et cetera--you should probably not
post it.