[ExI] HM

Ben Zaiboc bbenzai at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 6 17:32:52 UTC 2009

Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:

Brain of world's best-known amnesiac mapped
By Elizabeth Landau, CNN
December 3, 2009 7:21 p.m. EST

(CNN) -- Henry Molaison, known as H.M. in scientific literature, was
perhaps the most famous patient in all of brain science in the 20th century.

"My daddy's family came from the South and moved North, they came from
Thibodaux Louisiana, and moved north," Molaison would say. "My mother's
family came from the North and moved South." Within 15 minutes he might
repeat this exact statement twice more, unable to remember that he'd
already said it. Scientists studied him for most of his adult life.

This week, researchers are dissecting his brain to figure out exactly
which structures contributed to his amnesia, which he suffered for more
than 50 years.

At the Brain Observatory at the University of California, San Diego,
researchers began slicing H.M.'s brain Wednesday afternoon and streaming
the procedure live to the world on their Web site. Watch it live

Wow, does this mean the first upload will be an amnesiac?

Ben Zaiboc