[ExI] Tolerance

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Tue Dec 8 00:39:40 UTC 2009

On 12/7/2009 6:14 PM, Brent Neal wrote:

> I don't think we accomplish much by assuming people are stupid when they
> are, to our minds, mistaken.

The principle of tolerance might be based on the assumption that we
don't accomplish much by assuming people are *mistaken* when they are,
to our minds, mistaken--that is, tolerance is a negative epistemological
thesis. "Repressive tolerance", as Herbert Marcuse dubbed it, is the
ideologically motivated assertion that any proposition at all is as
likely to be true as any other, as in the "equal time" notion of the msm
exemplified by "balance" between (usually) two propositions, even when
one is utterly grotesque or ludicrous ("Was the moon landing a hoax?--a
balanced look at the controversy").

In practical terms, one must surely regard many mistaken ideas as
entirely ridiculous (thetan infestation via Xenu bombing, say), and then
one casts about for an explanation of how people could devote their
lives and wealth to such preposterous ideas. It is understandable that
one might conclude that such people, *in regard to that part of their
thinking at any rate*, are indeed operationally stupid. But one doesn't
get far in changing their opinions by baldly announcing this
diagnosis--which is often wrong anyway. My dear wife tells me that
Jesuits are obviously stupid (if they are not dissembling rogues),
because they apparently believe such incredible bullshit. I try to
convince her that, to the contrary, most Jesuits are smart as whips, and
apply their keen minds to this bullshit with powerful intellects and
expertise.

John Clark is convinced that I believe extremely stupid propositions
about the reality of psi phenomena, but he doesn't think I'm stupid. I
don't think he's stupid for denying what the evidence insists is the
case, just pigheaded and lazy for not looking at it.

Damien Broderick