[ExI] Tolerance

moulton at moulton.com moulton at moulton.com
Tue Dec 8 00:43:43 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-12-07 at 18:04 -0500, John Clark wrote:

> There is no doubt that Brights are smarter than their religious
> counterparts, however I don't know if it was good public relations
> to give atheists that name. I don't know much about PR.

I think there is a confusion here and I do not think "stupid" is a useful term to use.  Have you actually taken a random sample of Brights and a random sample of their religious counterparts and given them some tests.  If so what kind of tests?  What were the results?  What were the tests supposed to measure?  How was "smart" being defined?  And just so you know there are a wide variety people including clergy who call themselves Bright according to the Bright website.  Note that the term religious does not necessarily imply supernaturalism.  I suggest actually reading the Brights website; for example:
http://www.the-brights.net/people/

I suggest that the quoted statement be retracted and replaced with a statement which is more precise and more accurate.

Fred