[ExI] Wernicke's aphasia and the CRA

Gordon Swobe gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 8 00:39:24 UTC 2009

> I assume Searle is a creationist because if he is right
> Evolution might have been able to produce intelligence but
> it could never have made consciousness, not in a billion
> years and not in a trillion

Searle would laugh and say that's like saying water can never freeze into a solid, not in a billion years and not in a trillion. On his view, the brain takes on the property of consciousness in a manner analogous to that by which water takes on the property of solidity.

Like most of us here, he subscribes to and promotes a species of naturalism. He adamantly rejects both property and substance dualism. You won't find any mystical hocus-pocus in his philosophy.

He's more our friend than our enemy, except that he sees logical problems in the computationalist theory of mind.

And contrary to popular opinion, he allows for the possibility of Strong Artificial Intelligence. He just doesn't think it possible with formal programs running on hardware. Not hardware enough!

-gts