[ExI] Wernicke's aphasia and the CRA.

Gordon Swobe gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 8 12:04:32 UTC 2009

--- On Tue, 12/8/09, John Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> But for some reason this mysterious phase change only
> happens to 3 pounds of grey goo in our head and never
> happens in his Chinese Room. He never explains why.

He explains exactly why in his formal argument:

Premise A1: Programs are formal (syntactic).
Premise A2: Minds have mental contents (semantics).
Premise A3: Syntax is neither constitutive of nor sufficient for semantics.

Ergo,

Conclusion C1: Programs are neither constitutive of nor sufficient for minds.

So then Searle gives us at least four targets at which to aim (three premises and the opportunity to deny that his conclusion follows).

He continues with more formal arguments to defend his philosophy of mind, what he calls biological naturalism, but if C1 doesn't hold then we needn't consider them.

I came back to ExI after a long hiatus (I have 6000+ unread messages in my ExI mail folder) because I was struck by the fact that Wernicke's aphasia lends support to A3, normally considered the only controversial premise in his argument.

-gts