[ExI] Wernicke's aphasia and the CRA

John Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Tue Dec 8 15:54:51 UTC 2009

On Dec 8, 2009, at 7:23 AM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

> It is probably true that syntax is not sufficient for semantics. We
> could study an alien language and, with enough examples, work out all
> the criteria for well-formed sentences, but still not have the
> faintest idea what even a single word in the language means.

I think we could understand what an alien book on pure mathematics means but never mind, a computer could figure out what words mean the same way that we do, by examples. I don't see why Searle thinks that straightforward process can only proceed in the 3 pounds of grey goo in our head and is inaccessible to silicon.

 John K Clark