[ExI] atheism

Max More max at maxmore.com
Fri Dec 11 16:06:40 UTC 2009

Flemming
>To be an atheist is exactly just another religion. You can believe
>that there is no god, but you can not prove it. Therefore atheism is
>a religion based on belief.

Atheism is a-theism -- an absence of belief in a god. The absence of
belief *cannot* be a religion. In addition, as others have pointed
out, atheism has none of the rituals or other marks of religions.
It's absurd to call atheism a religion.

I cannot prove that the Tooth Fairy doesn't exist, but I don't
believe in a Tooth Fairy. Not only do I lack belief in the TF, I
would pretty confidently say there is no TF. Does that make me part
of the A-TF religion? If you answer "yes", then you are committed to
saying I am part of an infinite number of religions, since I lack
belief in an infinite number of other claims.

>  If you want to distance yourself from religion the right ism is
> agnostisism. To be an agnostisc is to decclare that there is not
> enough data to settle the question if there is or is not a god.

That is one form of agnosticism -- the weak version. In that sense,
you can be an agnostic atheist. It's also possible to be an agnostic
theist if you choose to believe despite acknowledging that you don't
really know. (This might seem weird, but many religious people's
brains probably are doing something like this at a level below the
conscious... just my speculation.)

The other, strong, form of agnosticism says that you *cannot* know
whether or not there is a god. That's an equally legitimate form of
agnosticism: it is a-gnosticism -- a lack of knowledge. You can lack
knowledge because (a) you don't have sufficient information or
haven't given it sufficient thought, or (b) you believe that you
cannot know -- gods are not possible objects of knowledge.

Atheism and agnosticism are not -- or need not -- be distinct
alternatives. The former is simply a statement about a lack of
belief; the latter may be a statement about what you think it's
possible to believe, or what you think you have *reason* to believe.
Unfortunately, not everyone bases their beliefs on what they have
reason to believe.

But, whichever way you take the meaning of "agnostic" or "atheist",
atheism is clearly *not* a religion. You can't have religion without
a set of beliefs (not lack-of-beliefs) and some accompanying markers
(typically rituals and the like).

Flemming and James Choate do seem to be seriously confused on this
issue. I second Fred's recommendation to study pancritical
rationalism. It might help.

This should be 101 on the Extropy-Chat list. We have plenty of
genuinely controversial and difficult issues to discuss. Can we now
get back to them?

Max

Max More, Ph.D.
Strategic Philosopher