[ExI] Wernicke's aphasia and the CRA.

John Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Fri Dec 11 17:38:24 UTC 2009

On Dec 10, 2009,  Gordon Swobe wrote:

> Searle rejects epiphenomenonalism -- the view that subjective mental events act only as "side-effects" and do not cause physical events. Searle thinks they do; that if you consciously will to raise your arm, and it rises, your conscious willing had something to do with the fact that it rose.

This is the sort of thing that gives philosophy a bad name. It's a completely empty argument, its like debating if pressure caused the balloon to pop or if it popped because too many air molecules were hitting the inside of the balloon.

> Do you mean to say that if something behaves exactly as if it has human intelligence, it must have strong AI?

Certainly.

>  If so then we mean different things by strong AI.

I don't use the term "strong AI" myself because if it has any meaning at all it means programing a soul. I don't believe in the soul, it's a useless concept.

 John K Clark