[ExI] Does caloric restriction work for humans?

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 18:34:44 UTC 2009

2009/12/11 Max More <max at maxmore.com>:
> So, here's the article. I would like to hear your thoughts on it, pro and
> con. If CR advocates have directly addressed all the points, I'd appreciate
> a pointer.

I have very anedoctical evidence in my family history of extreme
longevity coupled with a choosen (or dictated) caloric restriction
regime.

I suspect however that in very rough terms the (limited) extension of
one's life span so achievable may depend, at least in part,
i) on thelife style caloric restriction imposes;
ii) on the fact that one is living longer because living slower (both
in a metaphoric and metabolical sense).

All in all, the question that immediately arises is: what's the point?

Especially taking into account that while a few people adapt pretty
easily (my grandmother, for instance), for many other it may be
applicable for Dr. Atkins used to say (citing by heart): "I do not
know whether caloric restriction substantially increases your chances
or living 100+ years, but I can assure you that it will feel much
longer...". Not in any positive sense, obviously.

--
Stefano Vaj