[ExI] Tolerance

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Fri Dec 11 18:54:23 UTC 2009

On Dec 11, 2009, at 9:11 AM, Stefano Vaj wrote:

> 2009/12/11 Ben Zaiboc <bbenzai at yahoo.com>
> It's a position of taking nothing on faith.  "I don't believe there are any gods" is a different thing to "I believe there are no gods".  In the first, you are not stating a faith in something, in the second, you are.
>
> If you are a transhumanist, you should anyway rephrase it in "I believe there are no gods (yet)". ;-)

What does that mean exactly?  If you mean a Mind so powerful it can create an entire universe as we know it within itself I have no idea if such exists now or not.   I have no evidence to believe that one does.    I am fairly certain that such a Mind is possible however.

> There again, and trying to steer the thread more on subject, something which risks to make transhumanism impresentable in some quarters (e.g., academic posthumanism) is the idea that the future coming of gods is something to be taken for granted or inscribed in some cosmological necessity, rather than a possibility - and probably a possibility that would have to be actively pursued if it ever were to take place...

I agree there are *much* easier ways to sell transhumanism than some high-falutin Cosmic Imperative.

- samantha