[ExI] Tolerance.

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 16:45:48 UTC 2009

2009/12/12 John Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net>:
> On Dec 11, 2009,  Stefano Vaj wrote:
> And yet the essentialist view, which brings us into the territory of
> inescapable paradoxes as far as uploading, teleport, resurrection,
> copying, etc., are concerned keeps re-emerging and re-emerging even in
> our ranks.
>
> I am unaware of any such paradoxes, it all seems logical to me. If you keep
> running into paradoxes then you basic axioms must be wrong.

Aren't we say the same thing? If we run into paradoxes by adopting an
"essentialist" view of conscience and identity, then probably such
view can be considered as "wrong" (or, at least, not operationally
very useful...).

If we refrain to consider conscience and identity anything else than
phenomena - so if something swims, walks and quacks like a duck there
is nothing else to be said on the subject of whether it is "really" a
duck - all paradoxes go away.

--
Stefano Vaj