[ExI] Wernicke's aphasia and the CRA.

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 23:26:02 UTC 2009

2009/12/13 Gordon Swobe <gts_2000 at yahoo.com>:
> --- On Sat, 12/12/09, Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> How is it that the symbol grounding problem is not a problem for brains?
>
> That's the great mystery, Stathis! I wish I knew the answer, but I can do nothing more than help others here understand the question.
>
> However we may choose to describe the brain, we cannot describe it as a software/hardware system. It does something that no such system will ever do.

You look at a computer and say: it behaves as if it understand what it
is doing, but in reality it doesn't, since all it does is shuffle
around electric charges. But that's begging the question; you may as
well assume the same thing of brains.

Are you familiar with the Tery Bisson story "They're made Out Of Meat"?

http://baetzler.de/humor/meat_beings.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaFZTAOb7IE

--
Stathis Papaioannou