[ExI] The symbol grounding problem in strong AI

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 09:58:34 UTC 2009

On 12/18/09, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
<snip>
> You seem to accept that dumb matter which itself does not have
>  understanding can give rise to understanding, but not that an
>  appropriately programmed computer can pull off the same miracle. Why
>  not?

Because it hasn't been done yet.

And I think that our present computing systems will probably have
great difficulty in achieving it. (Though they might achieve
reasonable simulations of it).

Once systems with thousands of processors and multi-streamed logic
become common, we're in a different ball-game. But it will take new
programming techniques and new software to fully utilize these
systems.

This problem is one of those that will be overtaken by circumstances.
Once it has been done, everyone will say it is obvious and a
non-problem.

BillK