[ExI] Sick of Cyberspace?

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 16:21:34 UTC 2009

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 7:24 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> The particular substrate is not important, yet. The underlying technology
> is much more interesting. The choice of substrate happens for many, more

Natasha asked about chemistry, conversation ensued and we got to biology.
The substrate was my point about OLED, not that it was important - only that
it is available right now.

> It is always a good idea to utilize the only kind of molecular technology
> we know and can control (life) in the bootstrap. Proteins and DNA are
> great for self-assembly, as long as you can't do your own self-assembly
> from scratch, or use machine-phase which allows you to maximize
> functionality
> concentration/volume down to the theoretical limit. This means we'll
> lose biological components along the way, first as sacrificial
> scaffolding, and then completely. No harsh feelings, really.
>
> So in general don't latch onto the organic/inorganic thing.

Again, DNA is available and being used right now (albeit primitively).
Machine-phase nano-magic is still only being talked about... Unless y'all
have been withholding links to interesting science?

> The distinction is artificial in practice, and if we're, say, using
> graphene/diamond spintronics as a optimal substrate it isn't for
> some magic reasons. It's just carbon is special in that it makes nicely
> stable chains and cages which no other element can as well. From
> that property stem other remarkable thermal and electronic properties.
> Of course it won't be pure carbon, whether it's nitrogen vacances,
> SiC islets or transition metal groups in active machine-phase
> or synthetic enzyme centers.

Oh.. well then.. I guess... uh... I'll just take a nap until all they get it
all worked out.  :)