[ExI] The symbol grounding problem in strong AI

Ben Zaiboc bbenzai at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 20 00:04:28 UTC 2009

gordon.swobe at yahoo.com, declared:

> I think that if my brain runs any programs then it
> must do something else too.

Assuming that by 'running programs', you mean processing information, I'm not with you here.  Can't think of anything else it could possibly do (apart from generate heat, perhaps).

> I understand the symbols that my mind processes

Impressive.  I can't claim the same.  I *use* the symbols, but I don't really *understand* them.

> and having studied Searle's arguments carefully I simply I do
> not see how a mere program can do the same, no matter how complex.

I reckon that's because you are making a careful examination of the wrong thing.  Study neuroscience and programming instead of Searle's arguments, and you'll see that a 'mere' program can indeed do the same.  In fact, when it comes to symbol processing, a computer program can potentially do this *much* better (and faster, of course) than any natural brain.

Ben Zaiboc