[ExI] The symbol grounding problem in strong AI

Ben Zaiboc bbenzai at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 20 16:16:51 UTC 2009

Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> sagely advised:

> On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 03:40:20PM -0800, Ben Zaiboc
> wrote:
>
> > Would you please try not to say things like "it seems
> you don't understand that X", and "Sorry, but it's X", when
> giving your point of view?  It comes across as
> arrogant, and I'm sure you don't mean to be.
>
> Yes, Ben, he is so arrogant as he's clueless.  I think
> you can
> stop giving him the benefit of doubt. He's a prime
> illustration
> for utility of moderation on mailing lists.
>
> Technically he might be not a troll, but he's
> indistinguishable
> from one. And one thing you don't do with trolls is feeding
> them.

I defer to Eugen.

When someone ignores simple logic, and resorts to inventing their own terminology in order to deperately hang on to their argument, it's probably time to say "Yeah, if you like" and go on to more productive things.  You will hear no more from me on this, and I'll do my best to just ignore the words "Chinese Room" or "John Searle" in future.

Ben Zaiboc