[ExI] Proton decay (was Re: The symbol grounding problem in strong AI)

Tom Nowell nebathenemi at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Dec 20 22:17:23 UTC 2009

Ben wrote:"protons decay, you know."

Do they? Experiments have not detected a proton decaying, establishing that there is a lower bound for proton decay. Some grand unification theories require proton decay, others don't.

So, someday when a really good GUT wins the intellectual undisputed heavyweight of the world title fight and parades around its metaphorical prize belt like Rocky, or if one of the big proton decay experiments shows results, then we can be sure of proton decay. For now, I wouldn't be so sure.

Tom (enjoying the mental image of a theory showing off its trophies)