[ExI] atheism

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Tue Dec 22 21:50:16 UTC 2009

On Dec 18, 2009, at 10:32 AM, Dave Sill wrote:

> 2009/12/18 Post Futurist <p0stfuturist at yahoo.com>
>>
>> Religion is IMO necessary for some families for the same reason; say, a family of yahoos ceases churchgoing,
>> then they might trade off religion/faith for eating more to fill the void in their psyches; drink more spirits, become
>> sex addicts.

It has been my experience that the biggest drinkers, overeaters and sex maniacs are much more often religious than not.   I have no idea where you think you are going with such a line of argument.   I grew up being hauled to church 4 times a week (Southern Baptist) and have observed other religious folks since.   Except for a handful of serious meditators and another handful of more or less cult folks I haven't noticed any general improvement in character or habits from most of what passes for religion.   Indeed, most (not all) religion is such a sloppy unthinking pile of myth and superstition that one would expect those of low standards in general, not just intellectually, to be affirming it.

- samantha