[ExI] The symbol grounding problem in strong AI

John Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 23 05:31:09 UTC 2009

On Dec 22, 2009, Gordon Swobe wrote:

> I like this basic definition from the Stanford encyclopedia of philosophy online: "Intentionality is the power of minds to be about, to represent, or to stand for, things, properties and states of affairs."

And the power of minds to be about, to represent, or to stand for, things, properties and states of affairs means they have intentionality. This confirms what I have always thought, you will never in your life, not even once, receive philosophical enlightenment from reading a definition from an encyclopedia, and a dictionary is even worse.

 John K Clark