[ExI] Sensory Reality

Gordon Swobe gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 23 12:27:23 UTC 2009

--- On Wed, 12/23/09, Ben Zaiboc <bbenzai at yahoo.com> wrote:

> What
> I'm saying is just that we create our own reality within our
> heads, from the sensory feeds we get.  I'm not
> advocating solipsism.  Those sensory feeds obvously
> come from the real world, but as you say, we have no way of
> directly apprehending it, we have to build a representation
> that is consistent with our sensory inputs.

It seems you have embarked on the project of re-creating the metaphysical idealism of Immanuel Kant. He had a name for the thing that we have "no way of directly apprehending". He called it the "thing-in-itself".

In general he called that external unknowable reality of things-in-themselves "the noumena" as distinct from world given to us by sense perception, which he called "the phenomena".

Kant revolutionized philosophy with that idea and others related to it. Too bad he's not here to pat you on the back. :)

-gts