[ExI] The symbol grounding problem in strong AI

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 25 18:38:43 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 3:13 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> I find it really difficult to understand what drives reasonably smart
> people today to bog down in a rerun of the vis vitalis debate. Which was
> empirically put to death on 22th February of 1828...

Okay, Gene, I'll bite.

All I could find re 22 Feb 1828 was this:

...In 1828, Karl Ernst Ritter von Baer, having examined the fetal
anatomy of numerous species, published the view that all animals have
three germ layers and that that the ontogeny of embryos proceeds from
initial homogeneity to heterogeneity by stages similar to other young
animals, but not by the recapitulation of the adult forms of lower
animals.

Is this what you had in mind?

Best, Jeff Davis

  "Everything's hard till you know how to do it."
                          Ray Charles