[ExI] ho^3 = evil?

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Dec 25 20:36:23 UTC 2009

While participating in the usual season's practice of exchanging gifts, I
noticed one of the wrappings had the comment "HoHoHo" which caused me to
ponder the phenomenon universal in and unique to humans, that of laughter.
I further wondered if the different styles of laughter would carry a
universal meaning.

For instance, imagine jolly old Santa Claus and a randomly selected mad
scientist.  Both have a unique laugh, but imagine switching the two.  Then
they would utter the comments "...then I, Simon Bar Sinister, shall RULE THE
WORLD! HO HO HO..."  and "...Meeerrry Christmaaaass MuuWAHHaaahaahaaaa..."

If so, would we then switch the meanings, universally associating the
Santa-like Ho^3 with evil insanity, and Jaba-the-Huttesque MuWaahahaha with
generosity and kindness?  Or would history have been written differently,
such as "That St. Nicolas was a kind and generous soul who led a life to be
immitated in every way, but he often uttered an evil cackle that caused the
children to flee in terror."  And "Dr. Bar Sinister was bent on destroying
humanity, but he had a most amusing jocular laugh."

Just wondering.