[ExI] The symbol grounding problem in strong AI

Max More max at maxmore.com
Fri Dec 25 22:18:13 UTC 2009

I hope you'll note that I have carefully avoided
this thread, despite being well schooled in Searle.

> > Okay, Gene, I'll bite.
> >
> > All I could find re 22 Feb 1828 was this
>
>Nope.
>
>"organic chemistry has begun in 1828 when F. Wöhler synthesized urea"...
>
>"...Until 1828, it was believed that organic substances could only be
>formed under the influence of the vital force in the bodies of animals
>and plants. Wöhler proved by the artificial preparation of urea from
>inorganic materials that this view was false."

In other words: "I urinate on your vitalism" (and
I fart in your general direction).

Which reminds me on this silly day of the year...
for those who appreciate both Monty Python *and*
classic Doctor Who!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9sOiE5cTK4&NR=1

Max