[ExI] Why is there Anti-Intellectualism?

jameschoate at austin.rr.com jameschoate at austin.rr.com
Sat Dec 26 00:37:05 UTC 2009

---- Lee Corbin <lcorbin at rawbw.com> wrote:

> It gives them a working hypothesis, so that they
> can get on with what they regard as more important.

This doesn't explain anything however because you're asserting they're making a specific reasoned decision about a minor point so they can get on with more important issues. Just ignore it and get on with it. No, people consider this an important point, many would say it is the point.

> Few people actually like to think, yet that's what
> you have to do if there are unresolved important
> questions.

Everyone thinks, you ignore the question of how they do it.

> This explains why there is so much anti-intellectualism.

No, it doesn't explain anything. If anything it is itself anti-intellectual. It's a pat answer, practically begs the question.

> Most people simply find that they have far better
> things to do with their time than think, while on
> the other hand, many of us enjoy it, even to the
> exclusion of practically everything else.

That's a rather self serving perspective. I'd say that it rests on the same sort of arrogance that many religious people use to justify their own belief structure.

--
 -- -- -- --
Venimus, Vidimus, Dolavimus

jameschoate at austin.rr.com