[ExI] The symbol grounding problem in strong AI

John Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Sat Dec 26 17:10:04 UTC 2009

On Dec 26, 2009,  Gordon Swobe wrote:

> People have since the beginning of recorded history shown a propensity to anthropomorphize.

That is true and the reason that mode of thought has survived for so long is that anthropomorphism is often valid and has enormous survival value. From Evolution's point of view probably the most important task a mind can set itself is figuring out what that animal is going to do next and even more important what is that fellow human being going to do next; both tasks can benefit by thinking what would I do next. I anthropomorphize all the time and make no apology for doing so.

 John K Clark