[ExI] Searle and AI

Gordon Swobe gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 27 19:56:32 UTC 2009

Damien,

> [Searle] is arguing that current computational designs lack some
> critical feature of evolved intentional systems.

It's not so much about any mysterious "critical features" in nature or evolution so much as it is about the formality of programs running on top of hardware.

Even if Zeus handed us a concrete example of an artificially constructed machine with strong AI, we could not abstract from careful study of that machine a formal program to run on a software/hardware system that would enable that s/h system to also have strong AI. We would need instead to recreate that machine.

-gts