[ExI] The symbol grounding problem in strong AI

Gordon Swobe gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 31 00:38:11 UTC 2009

--- On Tue, 12/29/09, Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com> wrote:

Sorry I fell behind in my postings to you.

> You're inclined to say they would behave in a slightly
> different way? You may as well say, God will intervene because he's
> so offended by the idea that computers can think.

Perhaps different from how they might have behaved otherwise, yes, but not unnaturally. Perhaps the person turned left when he might otherwise have turned right. Doesn't prove anything for either of us.

>> Contrary to the rumor going around, reality really
> does exist. :)
>
> Up until this point it seemed there was a chance you might
> follow the argument to wherever it rationally led you.

Up until what point? My assertion of reality as distinct from simulations of it?

Do you agree with John's statement (on Tuesday, I think) that simulations of flames can burn simulated objects?

-gts