[ExI] more room at the bottom

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Feb 2 04:20:04 UTC 2009

> ...On Behalf Of Jeff Davis
> Subject: [ExI] more room at the bottom
>
> http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2009-01/su-swi012909.php
>
> Best, Jeff Davis

Woohooo!  Thanks Jeff.

I always like to see the Stanford students come thru, not only because
Stanford is the local U, the hometown boys, but also because Stanford is one
of the few ivy league colleges that didn't start out as a monastery.  Yale,
Harvard and I think Princeton are examples of universities that began by
combining a number of schools of theology, but Stanford was started by an
unapologetic capitalist, a guy who made a ton of money by building something
of value upon which others created value and made money.  There is a church
on the quad, but Stanford was never part of any religion or denomination,
and I don't think they ever had a school of divinity there.  Carnegie Mellon
would be another example of the kind of U that I like to see, and there may
be others, but let us be unapologetic about worshiping the almighty dollar
as opposed to some imaginary deity.