[ExI] Belief in Market Efficiency

painlord2k at libero.it painlord2k at libero.it
Wed Feb 4 20:21:22 UTC 2009

Il 03/02/2009 13.34, Stathis Papaioannou ha scritto:
> 2009/2/3 painlord2k at libero.it<painlord2k at libero.it>:

> But the states that abolished slavery did something very un-free
> market by making a law prohibiting a certain type of previously
> accepted property,

This is true, if we think the status before was really pro-market or
pro-liberty (that is really the same).
As human are imperfect creatures (someone would say "sinners") they
often have wrong beliefs about right and wrong.
It is not strange that they change their behaviours when they think
(rightly or wrongly) that they are doing something wrong.

Then, there is the fact that a community exist only when all people in
it agree (explicitly or implicitly) on a default set of common rules.
When people started to consider slavery wrong,

> and un-neighbourly by letting fugitives escape
> justice because what they had done in another jurisdiction was not
> illegal in their jurisdiction.

This is simply wrong. Or multy-culty.
The laws of a sovereign community are not the laws or a different
sovereign community.
Sometimes they overlap, but a community is not bound to follow the laws
of another community.
This could be un-neighbourly? Probably so, sometimes.
But why they don't follow our rules?

> It is like declaring, for example, that
> it is illegal and morally wrong for a state to allow its citizens to
> starve, and then giving asylum to any impoverished thieves from states
> that failed to look after them. And this is not an unfair comparison:
> in the ancient world, people used to sell themselves into slavery in
> order to overcome poverty.

Well, I'm all for stopping giving asylum to these people and for
overthrowing the leaderships of states that make their lives miserable.
It is not that they fail to look after them (it is not their duty or in
their power), it is that they made their lives suck with stupid laws and
arbitrary violence.
I consider the overthrowing of these leaderships and stopping giving
shelter to the fugitive self-defence, because they are polluting my home
with unwanted people that we can not sustain indefinitely.

Mirco