[ExI] "new communities out of the reach of governments"

Eschatoon Magic eschatoon at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 07:03:21 UTC 2009

It is probably fantasyland, and yes Egan's Distress shows what happens
to independent communities, but I am very fond of the idea of small,
independent communities. I know it won't happen anytime soon, but I
look forward to the fragmentation of today's nation states in small
independent communities. The would would become a better place.

G.

On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 11:46 AM, painlord2k at libero.it
<painlord2k at libero.it> wrote:
> Il 06/02/2009 19.45, Damien Broderick ha scritto:
>>
>> At 07:28 PM 2/6/2009 +0100, Mirco wrote:
>>
>>> I always say that, if and when will be possible to have new
>>> communities out of the reach of governments, will be possible to
>>> explore and try these approaches and many others. Then, we will see
>>> what communities will be able to prosper and who will not. And what
>>> system really work and what not.
>>
>> I always say that people of this opinion should read Greg Egan's
>> fictional but very convincing picture of what will probably happen, in
>> his novel DISTRESS. The artificial island Stateless is not *permitted*
>> to remain "out of the reach of governments".
>
> This is because I'm a strong supporter of "Space Islands".
>
> A community can become and remain free if it is strong enough to dissuade
> others from interfering with them and don't give them reasons strong enough
> to combat a war against them.
> Then, there is nothing that prevent a community of free people to win a war
> against a government. It is matter only of resources, will and intelligence.
>
> Mirco

Eschatoon Magic
http://cosmeng.org/index.php/Eschatoon
aka Giulio Prisco