[ExI] undercover at Walmart

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 00:07:57 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 11:15 PM, Brian Atkins wrote:
> Bill, there is nothing magical and wonderful about "making stuff" any more
> than there was about being a farm worker in the 19th century.
>
> "Making stuff" is well on its way to being highly automated and/or shifted
> to other means of cheaper and more efficient production (China, etc.) just
> as farming did previously.
>
> For anyone affected by this, it's time to find other kinds of jobs, not pine
> wistfully for a reversion back to the "golden old days".
> --

I agree that manufacturing has been shifted to China, etc.
That's what I was pointing out.

Here is quite a long article discussing the destruction of the US
manufacturing base.
<http://www.manufacturingnews.com/news/08/0930/commentary.html>
Quote:
The U.S. economy long ago collapsed around domestic manufacturers. Now
it's collapsing around the financial wizards who either forget or
didn't know that their livelihoods depended on a robust industry and
workers making livable wages.

Fewer manufacturing jobs, fewer financial jobs, fewer general services
jobs as the unemployed stop spending.
So what do you suggest the western world should do?

It's easy to say that all the unemployed should just find other jobs.
Like, where???   Everyone can't work for the government.
(Though it's starting to look like that in the UK).

BillK