[ExI] CALL: H+ call for papers

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Wed Feb 18 17:18:41 UTC 2009

Friends, I am forwarding Calvin Mercer's email.  (I did not inlcude the WTA
list because it was already sent there.)  Please see below:

Nlogo1.tif  <http://www.natasha.cc/> Natasha Vita-More

  _____

2009 Call for Papers (open to non-American Academy of Religion
members)-Deadline March 2, 2009

Transhumanism and Religion Consultation--American Academy of
Religion--November 7-10, 2009 annual meeting in Montreal

This Consultation welcomes papers on any aspect of transhumanism and
religion. We particularly welcome papers that identify and critically
evaluate the implicit religious beliefs underlying key transhumanist claims
and assumptions. For example, what are the operative notions of
anthropology, soteriology, and eschatology that are at play in the
transhumanist quest for enhancement, including extreme longevity? We welcome
more overtly philosophical critiques of posthuman discourse, especially in
respect to the employment of and reliance placed in technology. We encourage
proposals about all religious traditions. Also, rather than depending on
biotechnology, some transhumanists place greater confidence in
nanotechnology, robotics, and information technology to achieve virtual
immortality and create a superior posthuman species. We welcome critical and
constructive assessments of this envisioned future. For more information,
contact Calvin Mercer ( <mailto:mercerc at ecu.edu> mercerc at ecu.edu).

TO SUBMIT PROPOSAL ONLINE AS A NON-MEMBER

--go to  <http://www.aarweb.org/> www.aarweb.org

--on the right side, click on "online paper and panel proposal (OP3) system
now open"

--scroll down and click on "Submit a Proposal as a Non-Member" and follow
instructions

--the proposal is for the "Religion and Transhumanism" consultation

If your proposal is accepted, then you will need to become an AAR member and
be registered for the annual meeting in (Montreal November 7-10) before June
15 to remain on the program.  Deadline for submission of a proposal is March
2, 2009.

DESCRIPTION OF TRANSHUMANISM

"Transhumanism" or "human enhancement" refers to an intellectual and
cultural movement that advocates the use of a variety of emerging
technologies. The convergence of these technologies may make it possible to
take control of human evolution, providing for the enhancement of human
mental and physical abilities and the amelioration of aspects of the human
condition regarded as undesirable. If these enhancements become widely
available, it would arguably have a more radical impact than any other
development in human history-one need only reflect briefly on the economic,
political, and social implications of some of the extreme enhancement
possibilities. The implications for religion and the religious dimensions of
human enhancement technologies are enormous and are addressed in our
consultation.