[ExI] call for soteriology and eschatology papers that mention h+, was : CALL: H+ call for papers

hkhenson hkhenson at rogers.com
Fri Feb 20 04:04:37 UTC 2009

At 06:49 PM 2/19/2009, spike wrote:
>....On Behalf Of BillK
> > I doubt if they would accept a paper like that...
> >
> > Quote:
> > We particularly welcome papers that identify and critically
> > evaluate the implicit religious beliefs underlying key
> > transhumanist claims and assumptions. For example, what are
> > the operative notions of anthropology, soteriology, and
> > eschatology that are at play in the transhumanist quest for
> > enhancement, including extreme longevity? We welcome more
> > overtly philosophical critiques of posthuman discourse.
> > ------------------
> >
> > They want criticism of transhumanism, not criticism of religion... BillK
>

>BillK speaks with great insight.  The terms they use are ones ordinarily
>used exclusively by religionists.  The term soteriology is the study of
>salvation.  Eschatology is the study of the future as it relates to prophecy
>and the end of human history at the apocalypse, i.e. when that guy
>whats-his-name comes a whoopin ass and scooping up saints.  These terms are
>familiar to all in the religious studies, but to few outside that insulated
>world.

Sacerdotal is another good word to use.

Sacerdotalism: religious belief emphasizing the powers of priests as
essential mediators between God and humankind.

We could make a case they might accept that Transhumanism is
Sacerdotal machine religion, that is a religion based on the belief
that machines are the way for humans to experience God.

Keith