[ExI] CALL: H+ call for papers

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Feb 20 15:54:57 UTC 2009

> ...On Behalf Of Eschatoon Magic
> Subject: Re: [ExI] CALL: H+ call for papers
>
> I think those who jump at the first mention of religion are
> persons who had to make a big effort to free themselves from
> religious superstition, and are afraid of falling back into
> it anytime. Like those ex-alcoholics who avoid all parties
> because they know they would not be able to resist the temptation...

This is entirely possible, Esch.  My own case is a double opposite of your
postulate, so I suppose that constitutes a proof of sorts.  I am entirely
comfortable with all discussion of religion, and I have no fear of falling
back into it.  Reason: I was happy in religion, tried for years to fall back
into it.  But after I knew it was wrong, the spell was irreparably broken.
I would be like an alcoholic who loved being a drunk, but for whom the
alcohol suddenly stopped producing a high.

> There are many bad things in religion, and there are also
> many good things. ...My dream is repackaging
> religion with the good things and without the bad things, and
> compatibly with scientific knowledge and method, and
> spreading the new memetic package very wide...

If you can figure out a way to do that in a way that embraces skepticism
instead of faith, reason instead of dogma, evidence instead of testimony,
you will have accomplished a great thing indeed.