[ExI] CALL: H+ call for papers

hkhenson hkhenson at rogers.com
Fri Feb 20 15:25:36 UTC 2009

At 12:32 AM 2/20/2009, Eschatoon Magic  wrote:

snip

>There are many bad things in religion, and there are also many good
>things. We all know the bad things: irrationality, superstition,
>dogmatism, hatred for the infidels, holy wars, and burning people. The
>good things have in common an aspiration to transcendence and
>greatness, something more and better, which is very transhumanist. My
>dream is repackaging religion with the good things and without the bad
>things, and compatibly with scientific knowledge and method, and
>spreading the new memetic package very wide.

The problem is not the memes or the good things that may happen to
come out of religion.  The problem is the evolved psychological
mechanisms in humans.  Comes bad times a looming, and some religious
meme (or a meme of the larger class that included religions) will
acquire a xenophobic nature and sooner or later the warriors will
march off to war.

We don't need a "new memetic package," plain technology (most
important, birth control) will do just fine.

But the situation as it is shaping up now forecasts wars, lots of
them, in places where population growth has exceeded economic
growth.  That will extend to places with low to zero population
growth if the economic situation looks bleak enough.

Horrible model, but it does tell us where the problems will occur.

Keith