[ExI] government corruption

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun Feb 22 05:21:50 UTC 2009

At 11:26 PM 2/21/2009 -0500, Rafal wrote:

> > What incredible nonsense. So I take it you've never had a credit card or a
> > bank loan, for example.
>
>### Wow, Damien, are had a credit card that just jumped out of your
>wallet and started buying stuff you didn't want?!

Apparently--to my continuing astonishment--fucking up their records
of one's dealings with them, as they do repeatedly, either carelessly
or guilefully, so one is baselessly listed in credit reports as a
defaulter, and then they take forever to fix it, after one spends
hours on the phone to useless "staff", or they never do. In addition,
as my financial advisor noted:

>Are you referring to the way credit card companies advertise
>interest rates of, say, 5% and then raise them to 29% because the
>fine print in the contract says they can raise the rates whenever
>they feel like it?

That sort of thing. Or could I be thinking of some other kind of
company, or just about every other kind of company if it's big
enough? My financial advisor again:

< Large banks are an especially bad kind of large company. Federal
law is incredibly biased in favor of large banks. IMO, it's quite
accurate to characterize large banks as quasi-states, rather than
private firms. Or perhaps integral parts of the federal government.
The fact that certain banks have been characterized as "too large" to
allow to fail is a clear illustration of the difference between large
banks and private firms. >

Is this all due to the omnipresence, omnipotence and firepower of
governments? Maybe so, but it might also be a function of *massive
size in any enterprise* overwhelming all the processes hunter
gatherers are evolved to employ in close-knit groups of 100 or
so--unless an extraordinary and insightful and ceaselessly scrutiny
is brought to bear.

Damien Broderick