[ExI] H+ & religion call for papers

hkhenson hkhenson at rogers.com
Tue Feb 24 07:36:19 UTC 2009

At 10:45 AM 2/23/2009, Mercer, Calvin wrote:

>Broderick copied one of his messages to me and so I checked out
>these postings.  I am the professor who sent the American Academy of
>Religion (AAR) call for papers out beyond AAR and am the chair of
>the session in question.

snip

>My goal in the AAR session, the book, and other projects is to
>forward the conversation about these issues among scholars of
>religion, and ultimately, among the faith communities and have it
>done without the antiscience biases that I agree comes with
>fundamentalist orientation.

I sometimes think that the bias against applying evolutionary biology
to social sciences is as bad as fundamentalist orientation.

>Oh yes, Spike, as for being a "quiet infliltrator," no need for that
>strategy in this group.  As a former Christian fundamentalist now
>converted to atheism, you'd be most welcome and you'd be hard
>pressed to find a fundamentalist around anywhere if you attend the
>AAR meetings.  And Keith's paper on "would H+ mean the end of
>religion" would be evaluated in a blind review process like all
>proposals, and if it is well-argued would be as well-received as any
>other I think.

Well, there is still the need for someone to present such a paper.  I
am not kidding when I say I would be arrested at the border.  They
are still pissed that they didn't collect the bounty.

Keith

PS.  The reviewed version of "evolutionary psychology, memes, and the
origin of war" is in the Summer 2006 issue of Mankind
Quarterly.  There is a slightly longer and non reviewed version of it
on the web.