[ExI] H+ & religion call for papers

giovanni santost santostasigio at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 24 21:35:49 UTC 2009

Exactly,
Great point.
Almost all the religions have transhumanists aspirations (wanting humans to improve and perfect themselves, desire of immortality of the core identity of the human being, transformation to a higher self, fundamental connection between different minds, merger of the self with a higher form of being without loosing completely one own identity and so on...) but the means that religions envision to achieve these sacrosanct aspirations are imaginary...and do not work.
Transhumanism wants to achieve all this (and more) but with reasonable and reliable scientific and technological means.
As Asimov said: the only difference between science and religion is that science works....
Giovanni
PS
I read some H+ detractors' joke about the singularity, it was defined as "salvation for Mensa type people". I think this is a compliment, sure we want to be "saved" and we (the Mensa type people) are using our intelligence (and not our ignorant fears and lack of imagination like the religious people, yes religions lack creative imagination) to make "salvation" real.