[ExI] we need a transhumanist themed film to truly inspire the world, but what should it be?

Eschatoon Magic eschatoon at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 07:14:00 UTC 2009

Yes, a new _good_ SF movie with positive images of a transhumanist
future is long overdue, and I also cannot remember one after 2001.
Saying that Kubrick's and Clarke's 2001 changed the life of a
generation can be too much, but it surely changed mine, and that of
many other people here. These days movies impact the zeitgeist much
more than literature.

Some ideas for movie conversions: Transcension, yes. Richard Morgan's
work, in the noir genre (Tarantino comes to mind as director). The
First Immortal. Stephen Baxter's Space and Time...

Of course a problem is that Hollywood thinks people are stupid, so the
most interesting concepts are watered down and changed to make them
more appealing to us idiots.

Perhaps instead of complaining that there have been no great SF movies
after 2001, some people here should roll their sleeves up and MAKE
one. There are great movies done with very reasonable budgets
affordable by one or few angel investors.

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 4:28 AM, John Grigg <possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com> wrote:
> A question for all list members...  I feel like it's time for a _2001: A
> Space Odyssey_ type film for the current generation.  If James Cameron or
> Steven Spielberg were to adapt a transhumanist themed SF novel or short
> fiction to film, what narrative or at least plot line (you made up yourself)
> would you choose?
>
> I'm really looking forward to Cameron's upcoming film _Avatar_, that some
> say will be his magnum opus.  But from what I've heard it will be sort of a
> futuristic Rambo in space, rather than truly visionary speculative fiction
> that could inspire people to fight for a better world.
>
> Ray Kurzweil's _The Singularity is Near_ motion picture is coming out in
> late 2009 but I am not sure if it will have the impact we desire.  But only
> time will tell.
>
> John Grigg

Eschatoon Magic
http://cosmeng.org/index.php/Eschatoon