[ExI] a book of possible interest

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Jan 1 03:17:44 UTC 2009

 Behalf Of John Grigg

...I've heard some horror stories from people who were tv writers and saw
their work ravaged...John

John, in fiction the reader often takes something away from the story that
was *completely* unrelated to the main point of the work.  It might be some
minor character with whom the reader connects, or some tangent aspect.  Case
in point: as a teenager I read Bridge to Terabithia, which was an excellent
book.  It is about how kids deal with death and sorrow, or rather I think
that was the main point.  A couple of kids would go across a stream to their
fantasy place, (plenty of complex human emotional interactions, mostly
beyond my modest ability to understand normal humans) but they used an old
rope swing to get across, rope fails, child falls, perishes, remaining
adolescent decides to build an actual bridge across the stream to honor her
memory.

I recently designed and built a bridge over a stream on the Oregon ranch.  I
thought often of that book while taking on the daunting responsibility of
designing something that could slay a prole should it fail catastrophically.
I have half a mind to write to Katherine Paterson, the author of Bridge to
Terabithia, and tell her that her work inspired a beautiful bridge to a
really nice patch of old growth forest in Oregon that my folks and I have
nicknamed Terabithia.  Even though the story wasn't about building sturdy
bridges, I suspect she would like that.

Are there any other Bridge to Terabithia fans present?  I haven't seen
either of the movies based on the book.  Perhaps they screwed it in an
upward direction?