[ExI] Blu-Ray etc

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Thu Jan 1 20:34:14 UTC 2009

At 08:41 PM 1/1/2009 +0100, Stefano Vaj wrote:

>You have by [now] Blu-Rays both for the TV shows (Firefly) and for the
>movie (Serenity).

My computer can't even read those new-fangled DVD thingees. Writers
are *poor*. (Unless they inherited loads of dough, like Laurence van
Cott Niven.)

[boo hoo]

But really I was asking about Australian TV, where traditionally a
lot of shows restricted in the USA to cable are shown free-to-air. I
wondered if this were still the case, given that Oz is often a nation
of early adopters. When I left 5.5 years ago, cable was not yet
universal; I imagine it is now. Hmm, maybe not; I read in a 2005 article:

"Australia is trailing most other OECD countries in the adoption rate
of broadband services. It ranks just 21st out of the 30 members of
the OECD. This is despite the fact that the numbers of subscribers
more than doubled to 1.55 million in 2004. By the end of 2004, some
118 million homes and businesses in western countries had broadband
connections."

Damien Broderick